5 Secrets to a Simple, Delicious Caprese Salad
When’s the last time you made insalata caprese? This delicious dish originated in Capri and is the quintessence of the use of fresh, quality, and flavorful ingredients. Below are some tips to keep in mind next time you plan on making this delectable dish.
1. Keep it simple. There is no need to complicate this simple and classic dish.
2. Keep it fresh and in season. This dish is all about showcasing several fresh ingredients that complement each other. Don’t settle for anything less than fresh ingredients.
3. Use ripe tomatoes (but not over-ripe). Find a perfectly ripe tomato and use it. When a tomato is ripe it produces delicious juices that will blend nicely with the olive oil when combined. Be sure not to get an over-ripe tomato otherwise it’ll be too soft and too sweet to use.
4. Use buffalo mozzarella. Here’s why: it’s softer, has a creamier consistency, and it has a fuller flavor.
5. Use a quality extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is considered the highest grade of olive oil and has a distinct flavor that will complement the Caprese salad beautifully!